||This Cold Weather Warning was newly introduced on 16 December 1999
to replace the occasional special announcements on cold weather issued
in the past.. The warning aims at enhancing the public's awareness of
the impacts of cold conditions.
Hong Kong experiences cold season. A close watch on the local
temperature changes is maintained. Whenever Hong Kong is threatened
by cold weather, Cold Weather Warning will be issued to alert members
of the public to the danger of low body temperature due to cold
When the Cold Weather Warning is in force, it is expected that the
temperature will drop or has already dropped to or below 12 degrees
Celsius in the urban areas in Hong Kong. And probably, Hong Kong is
expected to be continuously affected by cold weather in the next few
Once issued, the warning is broadcast over radio and television.
If cold weather persists, the special announcements will be repeated
while the warning is in force, to remind the public to take necessary
Points to Note:
- Members of the public are advised to put on warm clothes and be
aware of low body temperature due to the cold weather.
- If you must go out, please avoid prolonged exposure to wintry winds.
- If you know of elderly or persons with chronic medical conditions
staying alone, please call or visit them occasionally to check if
they need any assistance.
- Make sure heaters are safe before use, and place them away from any
- Whatever the temperature, please ensure that there is plenty of fresh
air in your room when you are using an old-type gas water heater.
- Relevant government departments, such as the Social Welfare Department
and the Home Affairs Department would consider the need to take actions,
such as the distribution of blankets and the opening of temporary shelters,
during the warning in effect.
- It is important that members of the public take note of the warning
and take steps to protect themselves and their family against cold weather.
- The public should listen to radio and television broadcasts for latest